Katie Campbell, Majestic Care’s Director of Social Services, has shared super exciting news to bring MyndVR to our residents with memory care and behavioral health needs! Each of our communities will have specialized virtual reality glasses, programming, calendars, and more.
Human beings are social creatures by nature. Our connection to others enables us to survive and thrive. Yet, as people age, many are vulnerable to social isolation and loneliness—and related health problems such as cognitive decline, depression, and heart disease. Research has linked social isolation and loneliness to a higher risk for a variety of physical and mental conditions: high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity, a weakened immune system, anxiety, depression, cognitive decline, Alzheimer’s disease, and even death. This has been further exacerbated by the COVID–19 pandemic, specifically for the elderly in Skilled Nursing facilities.
At Majestic Care, Activity Professionals provide unique opportunities for socialization while continually adjusting to the infection control needs of their community. We are excited to announce that our facilities in Indiana were awarded a CMP Grant to provide Virtual Reality as an incredible opportunity to increase feelings of connectedness among our residents.
Virtual Reality thru MyndVR allows residents to immerse into an alternate environment where they are free to visually explore their surroundings. The immersive glasses are lightweight and contain 360 degree videos that allow residents the ability to feel as if they are at the location of the experience, providing reminisce, music and relaxation feelings. The video categories included are the following: Travel throughout the world, Virtual Pets, Nature, Music and Arts, Learning, Adventures, Meditation and Relaxation, and a section specific for Veterans. In addition, the Immersive Glasses contain a variety of games and activities in order to promote range of motion and physical activity.
Benefits to Majestic Care Residents:
• Immersive experiences projected within the MyndVR glasses allow the resident to visually explore and become immersed in meaningful experiences designed to foster engagement and increase cognitive stimulation.
• The virtual reality sessions provide interactive exercise and movements, such as the petting zoo, allowing Residents to reach out, resulting in exercise and feelings of happiness.
• Experience traveling to your favorite destinations without leaving the facility.
• Non-pharmacological method of decreasing pain, anxiety, loneliness and depression
• Promotes better health through natural body chemical processes (release of endorphins, serotonin and dopamine).
• Helps with relaxation for Residents with Alzheimer’s, Dementia, and Anxiety Disorders, by creating virtual reality of soothing scenes with music.
• Increases socialization with other Residents and staff, increases participation in activities, increases trips to the dining hall and spending less time in their rooms.
• Improves quality of life through meaningful daily living
We are excited to rollout this wonderful program for Indiana in October and are working with all corresponding state agencies and CMS to bring the MyndVR platform company-wide!